Apply KRA Tax Compliance Certificate for Individuals and companies on iTax. How do I get a tax compliance certificate for a company or individual? Which is the i-tax compliance certificate checker? In this post, we answer all your questions about the KRA TCC application, clearance and download issues.
Tax Compliance in Kenya
A KRA Tax Compliance Certificate, also known as a Tax Clearance Certificate (TCC) is a document issued by the revenue authority to prove that you have complied with all taxation regulations. It shows that you have been paying and filing your taxes. The KRA issues this certificate upon your application on the iTax portal.
From ITMS to KRA iTax
In the past, people literally had to visit the nearest KRA offices to apply for a compliance cert manually. At that time, people flocked at those offices that were characterized by lengthy queues. The application involved filling out a form with a pen and paper. And, even more tasking and strenuous was the fact that you had to wait for over 30 days to get the application form reviewed!
Then came the ITMS which didn’t do much to help the situation. While the processes became computerized, this system was a bit buggy and challenging for the common Mwananchi to use. So, they came up with iTax to replace ITMS and manual application forms.
iTax has made taxation and KRA services easy in Kenya. The computerized system is easy to use, and all you need is hover and click on a few buttons. Once you register iTax account, you can file returns, get a KRA PIN certificate, or in our case, a TCC.
Some people still travel to the Huduma Center Offices to have it done for them, but that is just too tiresome. It means wasting nearly half a day with the journey and long queues only to get a service that you’d have enjoyed at the comfort of your home!
At The Guide Kenya, you get cybercafé services- and all the Huduma Center services- right here! You just need to click “Help?” and we’ll do it for you.
Who needs to apply for KRA Tax Compliance Certificate?
- You need a KRA Compliance certificate to apply for tenders with the Government and other organizations.
- You also need to use the Tax Clearance Certificate if you intend to be in the Clearing and Forwarding agent.
- Also, if you are looking for a new job or you are leaving your current employment, you will need the KRA Clearance.
- Again, if you want to open a pub, liquor shop, any other liquor business, you need to get a KRA TCC.
The validity of a Compliance Certificate
KRA insist that their KRA tax clearance certificates are only valid for one year (12 months). You should apply for a new certificate in case yours has seven days to expiry. Before you apply KRA Tax Compliance certificate, make sure that you have already filed your tax returns for all your obligations. Then, pay the tax appropriately. After that, you need to clear all the outstanding debts. After that, head on to the next step.
Apply KRA Tax Compliance Certificate (Step by Step)
There are two ways of downloading your tax clearance certificate. One is the shorter route- using our services. The other one is the longer tedious method that involves going on iTax and applying the form by yourself.
Get Your iTax Clearance Certificate (TCC) in 5 Minutes!
Of course, I’d advise that you use the easiest way to get the TCC. It’s instant and straightforward, and you will only have to wait for the KRA/iTax system to send you the printable certificate to your email.
- Let’s help you get a clearance certificate in less than ten minutes.
- Call us on +254771775916, or WhatsApp us using the green “Help?” feature on your left.
- We’ll need your iTax Password and KRA PIN. If you don’t have these, we can also help you apply for a KRA PIN.
- Make your payment, and we’ll send your certificate instantly!
If you wish to follow this long route, then you can do so if you have the KRA PIN, iTax Password, Time (about thirty minutes, and an extra seven waiting days).
And, before you do that, make sure to have filed all your tax obligations and pay KRA their dues. Remember, the Kenya Revenue Authority’s TCC is a document that shows you have been filing your returns and paying your taxes. So, before anything else, be sure to do that right away.
Companies and individuals can apply for their TCC as long as they are in good books with the revenue authority. For a smooth application, make sure to have your ITMS account upgraded to the new iTax system. Contact us to help you do that. If you are a company, be sure to check if you have filed your KRA PAYE for all the months before the application. Here’s a step by step way to apply KRA TCC on iTax:
- First, you need to login to your iTax Account using your KRA PIN and password. If you don’t have this PIN, you can contact us to do it for you.
- Second, hover your cursor to the “Certificates” option on the iTax account portal. Find the “Tax Compliance Certificate option” and tap on it.
- The KRA TCC application form will appear. In it will be your taxpayer PIN, name as well as a slot for stating the reason application. The reason could be; tender application, job application, Liquor business, or Clearing and Forwarding registration.
- Check the information you have provided and submit the application.
- Tapping on the “Submit” button will redirect you to a page where you can download your acknowledgment receipt for the Tax Compliance Certificate. You will also have a registration number- which is a blend of the date and time the system generated the receipt.
- Download the KRA TCC from iTax by merely clicking on the link provided. You can print this document as a prove of application.
- You’ll receive an email confirming that KRA has received your application. The message tells you to wait for a couple of days before the Revenue Authority can process your request.
KRA Portal TCC Checker: Following up on Your Certificate
After you have applied for your clearance certificate and downloaded the acknowledgment slip, KRA will send an email as a prove that they have received your concerns. Then, you will have to wait for a few days – about 2 to 10 days. Within this time, they will review your application and confirm that indeed, you are a compliant citizen. They will see if you correctly declared your earnings. And, they will check if you have made payments to all the taxes.
KRA Compliance Certificate Download
If you have filed all your returns and you are in good books with the KRA, the taxman will send you a Compliance or Clearance Certificate. Download the file and hang on your wall. You have been a loyal, patriotic citizen who pays taxes, so, you deserve that!
The other possibility is getting rejected. They might send one of those heartbreaking emails that start with “Dear ABC, we regret to inform you that …” However, that shouldn’t scare you. Fortunately enough, KRA indicates the reason for rejecting your application. It could be that your company has issues with PAYE of a given year or month.
Or, if you are applying a KRA clearance certificate for individuals, then you might have failed to file returns for a specific year. Alternatively, they may need to pay your income taxes before claiming for a certificate.
If the Revenue Authority still doesn’t give you the document, then you can contact them or visit their offices for insight. Sometimes, it could be a problem with their system. This has proved with taxpayers who newly migrated from ITMS to iTax.